Saturday 23 April 2011

Day 35: Madrid/London and home

Three hours of sleep and five films later (Harry Potter, Marley and Me, Black Swan, The King's Speech and Love and Other Drugs - I fell asleep halfway through The King's Speech, and the plane turned off the media a quarter of the way into Love and Other Drugs), we landed in Madrid. I got my rucksack, and got off the plane as soon as I could. I was fairly surprised that I wasn't sore or stiff, but I walked through security (I got frisked, joyous) and got to the gate just as the line was forming. There was enough time to buy some water and phone Mum (the price of water seemed extortionate - in Peru a bottle of water cost about 23p, here it cost about £1), before boarding the plane. I didn't mind not getting a window seat - I just read for the 2 and a half hour flight.

At 4.10pm local time, we landed in Gatwick. 20 minutes ahead of schedule! I got my rucksack, went through border control, then changed into clothes more appropriate for the rainy weather (typical! My travelling clothes tend to be an oversize penguin t-shirt and loose trousers, for the record). Soon I was waiting for my luggage to appear - and waiting. Soon it was clear that my cases weren't there, but I honestly didn't mind. I knew that they'd appear sooner or later, so I filled in a form (all 5 people who'd come from Lima were in the same situation, we assumed that since we'd arrived late in Madrid, the suitcases hadn't made the connection), then went through customs and into the arrivals area. And there was Mum - it was so wonderful to see her again after my month away. We hugged, then made our way to the car, where I'd tell her about my trip as we'd make our way back home, to where Dad and Christopher were waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment