Wednesday 6 April 2011

Day 18: Huancayo and research

Edwin was away for most of the morning, so it was just me and Jenny until just after lunch. So I got the oh-so-fun tasks of fetching stuff from the kitchen and emptying potties as well as playing and trying to get the littlies to eat. We played a matching-cards game - at one point Jenny's mobile rang and she took the call, so I stepped in with "Where is the partner of the hippo?" while fifteen 3 year olds were jumping out of their seats to show me. Bless them! Lunch was fairly normal . one boy cried because he didn't want to eat his caomte, so I mushed it into something vaguely resembling a cat, which helped a bit. Another girl cried because she didn't want her banana - I tried making it into shapes, singing, ignoring her, the aeroplane game - then she threw up. I felt quite bad then. Afterwards we went back to class, where I stuck in more worksheets while two of the girls 'helped' me until it was time for me to leave.

I was planning to go out to town with Juliana, so I left the house straight after lunch and went to the internet cafe first. I ended up spending all afternoon there, chatting and working and researching. Story short, there's a lot of poverty here, especially among families of disabled children (a cause very close to my heart) so I spent most of the afternoon researching the laws and statistics of the region. I was quite disappointed with how few useful things I could find. I stayed internetting until about 7pm, then gave up and went back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment