Thursday 14 April 2011

Day 26: Huancayo and hail

Today's shape of the day was the triangle. And a very important shape it is. I found myself thinking about the Grand High Triangle Lover from Sesame Street (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_sN0P89S4&feature=player_detailpage), and wondered what he'd think of today's activities. We pegged up triangles on a skipping rope, then drew triangles in red crayon and punched holes in them with dead biros. Then in the afternoon Juliana came to film me with the kids - we did jigsaws, played with trains, and one of the boys put a ring of toys around my neck and said that I was a princess. How we laughed!

I had lunch at Nelly's house - it was great seeing her and the maid Dina again, who I hadn't seen since I was there two years ago. We ate with Nelly's father, then we went up to the rooftop. It was so strange seeing the room where I'd stayed before. It was really sunny, so Nelly brought me up a chair, and I stayed there for a while soaking up the sun. Then Hector came back from his office, so I went to say hi to him. Two minutes later, we saw that it was raining, so Nelly and I dashed to collect the clothes from the rooftop. Two minutes after that, hailstones the size of my thumbnail were falling. It was quite remarkable to watch. I stayed there a while waiting for the two new volunteers who were due to arrive at Nelly's that afternoon - an hour after they were due to arrive, I gave up and wandered to the internet cafe.

In the evening I went to Juliana's house - there I chatted with John, a volunteer who arrived on Tuesday (Daniel and I met him briefly before we went to Hualhuas yesterday), then we went to pick up the volunteers from Nelly's house. They're a couple, Jesse and Jenny, so we chatted on the way back to Juliana's. There Juliana's mum made a dinner of causa and some fruit salad for us all - me, John, Jesse, Jenny, Oscar, Sonia, and a new volunteer called Danny who also arrived today. It was Sonia's last day - tomorrow she and Oscar are off to Huaraz, then she'll go home while Oscar comes back - so we said goodbye. I said goodbye to Oscar too, since he'll come back when I'm already in Lima. It was a great evening chatting, then we all went back to our houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment