Monday 4 April 2011

Day 16: Huancayo and old faces

I was quite surprised to not feel at all sore this morning, since I don't often hike. I got on my bus, and a morning playing with the little ones was pretty much all that was needed to make me feel good again. We coloured in flowers, raced to put pegs on a washing line, counted to five using our fingers (when Jenny asked everyone to show their middle finger, I nearly burst out laughing at the sight of sixteen 3 and 4 year olds waving their middle fingers about), and sang the teapot song. I love the kids.

In the afternoon I went round Juliana's - she was surprised that I'd tired within an hour of hiking. Then we talked more, and I learned that when she did the hike, their tour guide had made sure that they kept together, and they'd gone along a near-flat road to the foot of the glacier, and only those who were really fit had gone on to climb. What we'd done was take a route that would've lef straight to the summit. She wasn't happy at all with the story I told of our tour, and I soon felt better about it.

Then we both got on a bus with a box of donations, and got off near the centre where I volunteered two years ago. We walked over to the park - then the children came. Children aged 8-16 came running from all directions - some of them I recognised from last time I was here! It was so wonderful seeing them (the centre's been taken over by a large company, so while the children get more help, the charity I'm with can't work there anymore) - we gave them some donations that one of the previous volunteers had brought, and the sweets that I'd brought. We could only stay a short while, then we headed back into town.

I got in touch with Michelle, my friend from back home who'd come with me last time - she's in Peru now, so we arranged to meet up. I turned up at the house I stayed in last time, where she is now (she's engaged to Gustavo, the son of the host family who became like a brother to me) - it was strange seeing her so far from home, strange to see Gustavo for the first time in 2 years, and strange to be in the house again! It was all great, though - we chatted, then went out for a meal (Burger King - it's about half the price as it is at home, and tastes the same) with Gustavo's grandfather. We had a great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment