Tuesday 5 April 2011

Day 17: Huancayo and playing games

This morning we raced to build towers and train tracks out of duplo, then we did our stretching exercises before lunch. Somehow I've unofficially become the one to wash the children's hands before lunch - it's fine until the children who claim that they can do it themselves come along. Cue about a minute with the soap, then much splashing of water - we all end up slightly wet. I just try to not laugh while hurrying the little ones. At lunchtime the teacher for the class of 2 year olds was ill, and only the aide was present, so I helped out there instead. The little ones just sat and munched their fruit - a few times the aide shouted at them for not eating fast enough, and a few of them cried. I missed my cheeky 3 year olds, plus I like how the teacher Jenny can convey authority without shouting. I felt bad for the 2 year olds. After lunch I stuck a few worksheets in the homework books (I asked Jenny what I could use to spread the glue with, she looked at me blankly, so I used my finger), then jumped on the bus back to the house.

In the afternoon I went with Juliana to the park again - this time after giving out the remaining sweets, Juliana went to talk to some of the helpers about renting out another building for the children who aren't supported by the large company. I stayed on the grass playing clapping games, running games, volleyball, and talking - I'd forgotten how many questions the children ask! Questions about my family, about the necklace I was wearing, about the scar on my wrist, about my hair, about my individual friends... it was great fun, though. I didn't want to leave when Juliana said that it was time to go! We stayed a while longer talking to the mother of three of the girls - her brother rented out a nearby house next to the park, she'd ask him if he'd be willing to let it to Juliana to use for the children. I hope that he says yes.

In the evening I went round Gustavo's again - I chatted to him and Michelle, and we went for pollo a la brasa. Then we saw the film 'Rango' - it's hilarious, so I didn't at all mind seeing it again. It was Michelle's last night in Huancayo, and she and Gustavo would be going back to Lima late that night, so I said my goodbyes and took the bus back to Hilda's.

No comments:

Post a Comment