Sunday 20 March 2011

Preparing to leave

It still hasn't quite sunk in that I'm off to Peru tomorrow. My bags are packed and ready to go, my alarm's set for 5.30am, and my passport's in the travel-belt that's currently sitting on top of my suitcase. I'm hugely excited about going, but it doesn't feel like I'm nearly on my way just yet!

After the fiasco with the suitcases last time I went to Peru (story short, one suitcase got lost for a few days and I was left with no underwear), I was a little more careful when packing. My stuff's give-or-take evenly distributed, with gifts for my family, £50 worth of toys, books, paints and school supplies, and some more donations for the children from friends and family - thank you all so much!

My plan is as follows: I leave Gatwick at 10, stopover in Madrid for a couple of hours, then a long-haul flight to Lima. When I get there I'll most likely stay over at my uncle's flat, since my grandparents would be sleeping (I should arrive at 8.30pm local time, so about 1.30am on Monday over here in the UK), then go over to my grandparents' in the morning. I'll stay with them until Thursday, then I'll make the 5-hour trip up to Huancayo, where I'll be volunteering for 3 weeks. When my time's up there, I'll come back to Lima for 4 days before flying back home.

... writing this up now, I feel quite excited! I just can't wait to see the children again. Fingers crossed that tomorrow's travelling all goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment