Wednesday 23 March 2011

Day 3: Lima and the true breakfast

For breakfast this morning, there was what I like to think of as True Bread and True Milk. True Bread consists of little bread rolls, so soft that it feels like I'm eating clouds, no preservatives, and a tiny bit of butter is all that's needed for that perfect taste. True Milk is evaporated milk, topped up with boiling water - warm, creamy, full of flavour. I was in heaven.

It was quite sunny, so Mamamama and I stayed indoors. We watched TV, chatted on the sofa, I did some light reflexology on her hands. Tio MaƱuco came over with Tia Marite at one point, but they only stayed a short while. Lunch was a starter of yuca, which is like a tastier version of potato, then there was rice and potato and chicken, followed by jelly and a drink of chicha morada (it's a sweet purple drink, I can't think of anything to compare it to). When Abuelo came back in the aftenoon, Veronica took me to visit Zari, a very dear family friend who lives nearby. Unfortunately she was busy working when we called by - she runs a hairdressing salon - but we managed to chat for a few minutes. Then I phoned Tia Juanita - I think she's coming over tomorrow - and Tia China and Tia Dora, I'll most likely see them when I come back from Huancayo.

In the evening, Tio Alejandro took me out for pollo a la brasa. Read: 'best meal in the world'. A specially prepared chicken, cooked over a spit, served with chips and salad. It was wonderful, then we went for a short walk to digest before heading back to the house. By this point it was coming up to 11pm - we got back to the house, I read for a little, then went to bed.

When we got back from Zari, I noticed that my arm was itching and there was a slight bump - I imagine an insect found me tasty. I'm getting a slight cold too - Abuelo and Mamamama have had colds for a few days, I think I'm catching it off them. Hopefully it'll go soon, but at least I don't have to worry now about being too ill to fly, which was my main worry when I started getting the sniffles back in Coventry. I'm sure it'll pass in a day or two.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel a bit better soon.

    You have a lot of aunts and uncles. I can't keep track of them all!

    Peruvian food sounds good; I keep wondering what it all tastes like!

    I am wearing the hat as I am typing this.

    Hope you have a good day tomorrow, I will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete